The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (ACLU-NC) seeks to hire an experienced Director of Policy & Advocacy to join our senior leadership team, working out of our office in Raleigh. We are looking for a creative and dynamic team player with deep policy and advocacy experience who can build an expansive advocacy infrastructure and advance ACLU-NC’s strategic priorities.
The Director of Policy & Advocacy will report directly to the Executive Director.
See the full job description for complete details on the role.
Who We Are
Founded in 1965, the ACLU-NC, an affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that stands as the state’s guardian of liberty – working in courts, the General Assembly, and communities to protect and advance civil rights and civil liberties for all North Carolinians. The ACLU-NC brings together litigation, legislative, advocacy, communications, and organizing strategies to empower communities and achieve our objectives in major issue areas including criminal law reform, racial justice, LGBTQ equality, reproductive freedom, and the rights of immigrants. With nearly 30,000 members and supporters across the state, the ACLU-NC has a staff of more than 20 people with a central office in Raleigh and a satellite office in Charlotte.
What You'll Do
The Director of Policy & Advocacy provides vision and direction for the ACLU-NC’s policy and legislative program. The position is primarily responsible for:
- Building a statewide political advocacy infrastructure that leverages our policy prowess together with established legal assets;
- Shaping and leading multi-faceted, non-partisan campaigns that achieve critical policy priorities of the ACLU-NC;
- Connecting campaign work to all aspects of the organization and to all levels of political action – state as well as local. Campaigns will include lobbying, communications, litigation, and grassroots organizing, and will demand strong partnerships with the communications, development, and legal teams.
- Having a deep understanding of ACLU-NC’s strategic priority issues such as criminal justice reform, reproductive freedom, LGBTQ equality, immigrants’ rights, and racial justice.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate will be ready to hit the ground running with a proven ability to build and sustain relationships and work collaboratively across the political spectrum contributing to the expansion of the ACLU-NC’s work as a leading advocate for the civil rights and liberties of all North Carolinians.
Specific ‘Must-Haves” include:
- Ability to design and oversee strong, well-defined campaigns that bring together legislative, organizing, communications, and legal strategy;
- Experience working within a framework of integrated advocacy;
- Significant experience in change management, leading staff including developing individual staff work plans;
- Experience developing and implementing grass-tops deployment strategies to engage policymakers, stakeholders, and opinion leaders from all along political and ideological spectrums;
- Significant experience lobbying with experience at the North Carolina General Assembly is a plus;
- Proven commitment to equity and inclusion as well as a personal approach that values all people and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
What Else You Should Know
You are welcome here. The ACLU-NC is committed to an inclusive work environment that reflects the population that we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building an organization in which all employees and North Carolinians can be proud. We eagerly anticipate applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, parental status, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction. The salary range for this position is $82,100 - $95,000, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU-NCLF is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Recognizing that strict minimum requirements tend to disproportionately discourage women and people of color from applying for jobs for which they would otherwise be competitive, we encourage all qualified individuals to apply -- especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who identify as LGBTQI+; and people who are formerly incarcerated or otherwise directly impacted by the criminal legal system.