The ACLU-NC seeks to hire one full-time Policy Counsel to join a growing team. The ACLU-NC seeks to hire one full-time Policy Counsel to join a growing team. The Policy Counsel will temporarily report to the Executive Director but ultimately work under the supervision of our new Policy Director in close collaboration with other team members, as well as staff from the legal and communications departments. The Policy Counsel supports the ACLU of North Carolina’s legislative program and other policy advocacy efforts and will be responsible for advancing the proactive civil liberties agenda of the ACLU-NC at the state and local level, lobbying to defeat proposed legislation that threatens to undermine constitutional rights and individual liberty, and mobilizing coalition partners and community groups to achieve our objectives.
• Policy Oversight: Assist with the preparation of talking points, bill summaries, position papers, internal reports and presentations for ACLU-NC staff and lay leaders, or other documents as necessary. Draft and prepare proposed legislation or amendments preserving and advancing civil liberties.
• Coalition Building: Work in coalitions as aligned with the organizational strategic plan and represent the ACLU-NC in coalition meetings and community discussions.
• Research and Analytics: Assist with tracking, monitoring, and analyzing proposed legislation. Assist with monitoring the legislative calendar for committee meetings and actions involving tracked legislation. Conduct legal and policy research into civil liberties issues raised by proposed legislation at the state and local level and draft legal memoranda analyzing these issues.
• Legislative Reports: Work with the Senior Policy Counsel and Policy Director on overall legislative program including annual legislative agenda. Report to and advise policy and advocacy team on strategic elevation of legislative and policy priorities as needed.
• Legislative Outreach: Lobby members of legislative bodies and their staff in support of ACLU-NC positions on pending legislation. Lobby administrative agency and Office of the Governor officials and their staff in support of ACLUNC positions on administrative and regulatory matters. Collaborate with staff to implement integrated advocacy policy initiatives involving a combination of policy, legal, communication, public education, and organizing strategies. Seek to develop ACLU-NC champions in advocacy, policy communications and negotiations including government, women leaders, and civil society. Policy Counsel will be required to register as a lobbyist for the ACLU-NC and for the ACLU-NC Legal Foundation.
• Media Outreach & Education: Participate in interviews to the media regarding the civil liberties implications of proposed legislation or policy initiatives. Participate in public education efforts, including making presentations to ACLU-NC members and other organizations or groups about civil liberties related legislation, the legislative process, or other ACLU-NC priorities. Assist in organizing events, trainings, or membership activities, such as lobby days, related to our legislative or policy goals. Represent the ACLU-NC in a professional manner externally as well as within the organization.
• Project Management and Participation: Lead, manage, and/or participate on cross-functional project teams.
You can read the full job description below and apply at the link here.