The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina invites applications for a full-time Regional Field Organizer based in Charlotte.
Founded in 1965, the ACLU of North Carolina, an affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that stands as the state’s guardian of liberty – working in courts, the legislature, and communities to protect and advance civil rights and civil liberties for all North Carolinians. With nearly 30,000 members and supporters across the state, the ACLU of North Carolina has its main office in Raleigh and satellite sites in Charlotte and Wilmington.
The Regional Field Organizer will help build a sustainable organizing program by increasing, diversifying, and mobilizing volunteers, members, and activists to advance our multi-year campaign to reform North Carolina’s criminal justice system, as well as other strategic priorities of the ACLU of North Carolina. A member of the Policy and Advocacy Department, the Field Organizer reports to and will be directly supervised by the Field Manager out of the main office in Raleigh, North Carolina. This position will be based in the Charlotte area.
Within their assigned region, the Field Organizer will be responsible for recruiting volunteers, planning and executing events, and building relationships with community leaders.
Individuals with experience with the criminal justice system, including formerly incarcerated people, are encouraged to apply.
Key responsibilities include:
- Volunteer Engagement: Recruit, train, and manage an active volunteer pool to expand and strengthen the base of the organization. Advance and implement programs to engage, motivate, and educate activists and community supporters. Provide volunteers and members with information, guidance, assistance, and training; act as the primary liaison between volunteers and other staff.
- Public Presentations: Represent the ACLU of North Carolina before community groups, including speaking at community events. Serve as a media spokesperson as needed and in accordance with Communications Department guidance.
- Events: Develop, conduct, and widely publicize public events, panel discussions, community forums, and related events in targeted communities. Mobilize ACLU-NC activists, members, and volunteers to ensure event turn-out. Work with advocacy tools (e.g., VAN, phone banking, texting) to promote events and communicate organizational messages.
- Community Outreach: Connect with impacted populations and the broader community to ensure that the ACLU-NC’s work on strategic initiatives is in harmony with community partners’ interests and vision. Galvanize community organizations, public officials, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities to support organizing campaigns.
- Data Retention: Prepare regular reports, as appropriate, on volunteers, activists, and members. Complete and execute work plans.
Other work may be assigned as the needs or as the workflow of the Policy and Advocacy Department dictate.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU and the advancement of civil rights and civil liberties for all people.
- Ability to coordinate, lead, and supervise groups of activists, members, and volunteers
- Experience in community or field organizing.
- Superb organizational skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and willing to learn.
- Attention to measurable goals and results.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends, and irregular hours. Travel throughout the state will be required periodically. Valid driver’s license required (but owning a vehicle is not necessary).
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Track record of building relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including elected officials, activists, and volunteers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and database management software, including the VAN.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, sick time and holidays; medical, dental and vision insurance; life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance; and 401k retirement plan with employer match. FLSA Status: Exempt
The ACLU-NC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The ACLU-NC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, parental status, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please email us at email@example.com if you require an accommodation to complete this application.