The ACLU of North Carolina seeks a legal fellow who will work with ACLU-NC attorneys and community partners like the Carolina Abortion Fund to develop a Judicial Bypass Coordination Project (JBCP) in North Carolina. The purpose of the JBCP is to cultivate and coordinate statewide pro bono legal assistance for minors who need to seek judicial waiver of parental notification for abortion care, provide trainings and materials for Carolina Abortion Fund hotline volunteers who will engage and coordinate with courts to promote effective procedures for judicial waiver proceedings.
- Administering the Judicial Bypass Coordination Project, including, but not limited, to:
- Creating training materials specific to the judicial bypass process for existing community hotline volunteers.
- Assisting with training judicial bypass hotline volunteers.
- Assisting with coordinating response to requests for assistance to the judicial bypass hotline.
- Recruiting, training, making referrals, and providing support to pro bono attorneys who represent minors in the judicial bypass process.
- Providing direct representation to clients in the judicial bypass process.
- Providing logistical support and referrals to clients needing assistance with accessing the judicial bypass process and/or abortion care.
- Conducting outreach to court personnel to facilitate judicial bypass proceedings.
- Maintaining and assessing statistics regarding the JBCP’s operations.
- Supporting all other aspects of the JBCP as needed.
This legal fellowship is for one year.
- Recent law school graduates and attorneys with 1 to 5 years of experience are invited to apply; some experience as a practicing attorney preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive rights and/or justice, women’s rights, and access to abortion services.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including comfort with phone communication and with public speaking.
- Ability to communicate effectively with teenagers and young adults.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and capable of prioritizing and managing numerous tasks in a timely and effective manner.
- Self-motivated, innovative, and capable of working both independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring range for this position starts at $42,000. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent medical and dental insurance; disability insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; reimbursements for travel & phone use; and generous time off policies.
Applicants should send a resume, letter of interest, list of references, and legal writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and include their name in the subject line. No calls or snail mail please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-NC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.