On May 24, 2021, we hosted an online conversation about important legislative issues currently pending at the N.C. General Assembly.
This conversation focused on where bills are within the legislative process and what North Carolinians can do to take action on issues they care about.
The video is embedded on this page (or view on YouTube) and there are resources below related to the legislation discussed. Additionally, there are links below to take action on some of the bills that are moving through the legislative process.
- SB 101: This "show me your papers" bill requires that local sheriffs cooperate with (ICE) and perpetuate the federal government’s deportation pipeline. See our fact sheet for more on SB 101 and take action to stop this bill.
- HB 324: This bill would ban teachers from using lessons that acknowledge America’s history and legacies related to racism and sexism. See the ACLU of NC’s statement on HB 324 and take action to stop this bill.
- HB 247: encourages schools to use long-term suspensions and expulsion for minor behavioral challenges, such as disrespectful language and dress code violations, which disproportionately harm children with disabilities and/or Black children and contribute to the school-to-prison pipeline. See the fact sheet on HB 247.
- HB 805: This “anti-riot” bill will stifle free speech and deter people from exercising their right to protest. See the fact sheet on HB 805 and take action to stop this bill.
- SB 405: This bill would criminalize doctors who are helping patients in complex, challenging and/or emergency circumstances, including complications during pregnancy. It denies physicians the ability to provide the care that is necessary, compassionate, and appropriate under the circumstances. See the fact sheet for more information about SB 405.
- HB 453: This bill would ban abortions based on the reason behind the person’s decision. See the fact sheet on HB 453 and take action to stop this bill.
Thank you again for joining us or watching the discussion on YouTube - we know there are a lot of proposals moving, and that is why we are so, so thankful for your support!